I am glad that you have stopped by. Please sit back, and enjoy the thoughts that you find here. I hope that they will lift you up and inspire you in your walk with your Heavenly Father.

Friday, January 8, 2010

Message from a Crypt

(Philippians 1:6)

Deep in the dark world of an underground crypt, a great truth is hidden away. Although a man's life is long over, and his thoughts and voice are now still and silent, he has left a message etched on the surface of his tombstone for all time.

Obviously, this man believed that this message was crucial---and a lesson that he felt that he had learned too late in life. But, no, any lesson learned never comes too late, if only we share it with others yet living. And, so, this man, even in death, has passed his lesson learned from failure, on to us today.

It is a simple lesson we all need to etch upon our hearts in order to be effective ministers in this world. This is what is etched into stone on the tomb of an Anglican Bishop in the Crypts of Westminster Abbey:

"When I was young and free and my imagination had no limits, I dreamed of changing the world. As I grew older and wiser, I discovered the world would not change, so I shortened my sights somewhat and decided to change only my country.

"But it, too, seemed immovable.

"As I grew into my twilight years, in one last desperate attempt, I settled for changing only my family, those closest to me, but alas, they would have none of it.

"And now as I lie in my deathbed, I suddenly realize: If I had only changed myself first, then by example I would have changed my family.

"From their inspiration and encouragement, I would then have been able to better my country and who knows. I may have even changed the world."

Youthful optimism leads us to think that we can change the world. Eventually, youthful optimism fades, and in its place, either pessimism or its twin sister, cynicism, often take up residence. That need not be the case. Instead, we need to narrow our focus. We need to focus on our own life, our own heart, and our own deficiencies. True change must come from the inside out. And that change must start within our own heart first.

Listen to the words of The Apostle Paul. Notice each time the word "IN" is repeated in these word penned by this man. Highlight the word "IN" in your Bible so that there is no doubt in your mind that change begins within you.

"It is God which worketh IN you..." Phil. 2_13

"Christ shall be magnified IN my body..." Phil 1:20

"Being FILLED (up) with the fruits of righteousness which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God..." Phil 1:11

"For you are bought with a price, therefore glorify God IN your body, and IN your spirit which are God's..." I Cor 6:20

"Let the peace of God rule IN your hearts..." Col. 3:15

"Let the WORD of Christ dwell IN you richly..." Col 3:17

"Be FILLED (up) with the Spirit..." Eph 5:18

"Be renewed IN the spirit of your mind..." Eph 4:23

"God...hath shined IN our hearts...And we have this treasure IN earthen vessels (within us) that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us..." II Cor 4:6,7

Being changed in our hearts by the Word of Christ dwelling within, having His spirit within, and being motivated by the peace of God in our hearts, is what moves men. Our words and cries for change alone are empty.

Always remind yourself that God is performing a great work WITHIN you. Take comfort in that, even when you feel as though you are not making a difference. God is making a difference IN you, and that change will effect those around you in a much mightier way than you can ever imagine.

"Being confident of this very thing, that He which hath begun a good work IN you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ." Phil 1:6

No comments:

Post a Comment